Ah, this morning was a fine morning. I was running late, but the car ride was nice. In fact, from the moment I walked out of the house I noticed the beauty of the sunrise and I knew the car ride was going to be nice. That's one benefit of being late. So, I finally switched the CD from Appendix A (AP) to Remedy (D*CB) because nothing was on the radio and I felt like listening to something good going in [note: not that Appendix A isn't good - it's great, I've just had it in since Rochelle gave it back to me and a little D*CB sounded like a good switch :-)]. The first song is called "The Glory of it All" and it's a pretty calm song so it was fitting for the morning. As I was driving I noticed the lyrics:
And how wonderful to hear those lyrics going into a new day of student teaching and experiencing such a beautiful dawn! You may already know, but for those who don't, this week has been a big booster. Last weekend was perfectly timed...I don't know if I could have made it one more day without giving up. But this week I've put some stuff aside that I was really frustrated about and decided to be the change I can be instead of letting the problems I can't fix kill me inside.After night
Comes a light
Dawn is here
Dawn is here
It’s a new day, a new day
Oh, everything will change
Things will never be the same
We will never be the same
I also went to the volleyball game on Tuesday and that allowed me to connect with some students and their parents. One girl even came in the next day and bragged about me to my host teacher and even said, "Miss D is a good student teacher," for going to the game and helping her out with her homework. Then, she gave me a thumbs up. Usually she's the one messing around in class, so I think once it comes time for me to teach, I have her respect enough for her to listen to me.
Plus, Monday and Tuesday I noticed myself being really happy walking around the school and, hopefully, encouraging other teachers with my joy. I could see their faces going from a stressed face to a my-day-seems-brighter face. If my impact can even just be on teachers to have joy in their job, that will affect students in a huge way. I just need to keep that joy...we'll see about that :-).
The first week I was overwhelmed by the tragedies of the entire system - the schools, the lack of basic skills, the community, etc. Where does the change start??? And now my attitude is this: make a change even if it's the most minute change in one student or one teacher's life. This change has given me hope and joy. Plus, I know only God can change and that's exactly what I'm having faith He'll do. I love when Scripture talks about His power - because it shows that I can't do it, only He can! But if he decides to use me in this season, I would be overjoyed. I think I already am.
Click here to find and listen to the song ("The Recordings" -> green cross album -> find song)
No comments:
Post a Comment