God, I think I get it! You want to teach me about humility!
In the past month, I really feel that God is throwing humility at me over and over and over. Recently, Piper preached a sermon on humility, boundless.org had an article on humility, Driscoll preached a sermon on humility, and my books here and here keep talking about humility. Enough already! Oh, and if that's not enough, let's have a PowerPoint on it in class with a list of questions to, well, humble me.
1. Do you have a stronger desire to do your will than God’s will?
2. Are you more dependent upon your resources than God’s?
3. Do you often believe your opinions are better than others?
4. Do you often consider yourself as more important than others?
5. Do you have a tendency to think you have no needs?
6. Do you find it difficult to admit that you were wrong?
7. Do you have a tendency to be a people pleaser?
8. Are you overly concerned about getting the credit you think you deserve?
9. Are you driven to obtain recognition from degrees, titles, or positions?
10. Do you often consider yourself as more important than others?
11. Do you become defensive when you are criticized?
That's not all. There's much more to the PowerPoint on what humility is and is not. If you're interested, let me know and I can send it to you.
As a result, I feel humbled knowing how prideful I am. Every day there seems to be one or twenty blows to my pride. You're probably thinking "Wow, that's really good." And indeed, you are right. However, it's hard to have that perspective when the blows keep coming in unexpected ways throughout the day. The resources cited above are knowledge, but God keeps speaking to me through experiences, which are the real lessons.
Well, I have a meeting so I can't continue on talking about the impact of some of the books from class. Let me just say that if I am in contact with you, I might mention some of these "textbooks" to you over and over. They're that good.
No comments:
Post a Comment