9.18.2009

Even in Teaching

Today for homecoming chapel, we honored the CIU class of '59 and the Thompson family of whom many attended CIU. One of the speakers was from the Thompson family and he talked about his influence. The first influence he spoke of was a teacher named "Buck" Hatch. This man must have been amazing because I have heard a ton about him! As the speaker went on, he talked about what Buck Hatch had done as a teacher that was so great. I was on the edge of my seat. Then, he spoke of the best part of Buck's teaching. Can you guess what it was? Humility. I sat back. Really? This topic, again? Despite all that this teacher did, humility made him great. Wow.

Let me give you an example, real quick. This teacher once came to class and said to his students that he had no word to give them because it had not yet gotten into his heart. So, he dismissed the class. I don't know many that would admit that their heart was not right and actually not teach that day. I have a lot to learn.

No comments: