8.22.2009

Quick Update (I'm here!)

Looking back on my last two posts, I feel it's necessary for me to make a comment on my summer school teaching experience. Somewhere along the way, I started to like going to work. It's not that love got a whole lot easier (it didn't), but there seemed to be a change of attitude in my life. I am humbled to say that I can't take credit for it. Many times I'd like to, but in this case there's no way I can. One day on the way to work, I almost turned around and went home, and many days I truly did not want to interact with students at all. Christ's gracious (and patient) work in my life is the only way my attitude changed. Praise God that He did this work because I learned in a small way how to love when love is not easy. I wouldn't do the story justice unless I also mentioned that the most disrupted students were suspended by the last week. So, there were less students to be workin my nerves. I'm very thankful that the five weeks ended so nicely and that I was indeed sad to leave these students as I have been sad to leave all of my former students.

Now, onto my experience thus far at CIU. Yesterday, I traveled a little over 14 hours to get down here. The ride was not wonderfully exciting; nor was it boring. I have found that I can entertain myself for hours. When I arrived, the RA on duty showed me around campus briefly as we went to get my key. Since I arrived so late in the evening, I unpacked my food, bedding and overnight clothes and slept.

This morning as I unloaded my car a very nice security guard came over to help me. I was quite grateful as there was absolutely no one else around. As the day went on, I found everyone to be as nice and generous as this man. A friend I just met tonight went with me to the airport so I could drop off my rental car. She even drove me to the Walmart and back too! Today, I learned that everyone on campus knows everyone else by name and everyone is friendly from day one. Secondly, I learned that taking 15 seminary credits is extremely hard and that there's no time for anything else (spoken by a second year seminary student). Lastly, I found out this morning that no one else is listed to be in my room =D. The one roommate I was supposed to have, opted to not live in with grad students since she is an undergrad. This is particularly nice because I only have one outlet in my room. Also, I wouldn't mind having another desk just for sewing!

More updates to come with more depth.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Glad to hear you made it and are settling in! Also glad to hear you don't have a roommate, so there will be more room for us when we come to visit. ;)

Shannon said...

Good to hear a more extensive description of your trip/arrival (though "crkr brrl" was quite good, as well). :-)