Love is patient, right? We all know that from 1 Corinthians 13 because it's the first line about what love is. Love is easy when patient is easy when the person you're loving is easy going. Today I learned that love is difficult because patient is difficult with students who refuse to obey in any way shape or form. Patience is hard when there is blatant, ongoing, relentless disobedience. Love is a command and a choice - and boy would I like to choose to not love right now! Of course I have decided not to quit my job, and in that decision I have chosen to deliberately love. I realized, this morning, that love is essential for having motivation to keep teaching ungrateful students. And yet it is so, so difficult to maintain this sort of love. Love is hard.
Eventually, I realized that I am just like my students. I have blatant, ongoing, relentless disobedience to God and His laws even when I fully know what is right. His love is beyond my understanding. How can He still love us the way He does? Why doesn't He just throw in the towel because of impatience? I don't know why or how, but it's amazing that He doesn't! And the wonderful line from Andrew Peterson's song "Rocket" rings true, "love alone can carry..."
6.30.2009
Love is... Wait, What?
Posted by
AmyD
at
6:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Now I have "We're gonna see a rocket" running over and over in my head. :-)
Miss you, even though you're locally situated. I will be praying about the whole patience thing.
Post a Comment