I thought I'd write a non-personal post on my classes and the textbooks for the classes. I'll let you know my favs at the end of the semester. Also, let me know if you have any opinions or questions about the texts below!
Foundations of Spiritual Development:
- "The Making of a Leader" by Robert Clinton
- "Devotional Classics"" by Richard Foster
- "Truefaced" by Bruce McNichol & Bill Thrall
- "Out of the Saltshaker and into the World" by Rebecca Pippert
- "The Green Letters" by Miles Stanford
- "Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine" by Wayne Grudem
- "A Survey of Bible Prophecy" by Ray Ludwigson
- 3 other Systematic Theology books are recommended based off of personal faith:
- "Systematic Theology" by Louis Berkhof [Reformed perspective]
- "Christian Theology" by Millard Erickson [Baptistic perspective]
- "The Quest for Truth: Answering Life's Inescapable Questions" by F. Leroy Forlines [Non-Wesleyan Arminian perspective of the Free Will Baptist Church]
I dropped this class, so while I have the books, I won't be blogging on them.
Genesis to Song of Solomon:
- "Encountering the Old Testament" by Bill Arnold and Bryan Beyer (my professor)
- "Mission in the Old Testament" by Walter Kaiser
- 3 other recommended books. I'll tell ya if you request to know.
- "Discovering the Mission of God" by Mike Barnett (my professor)
- "The Changing Face of World Missions" by Michael Pocock
- "Called to Reach: Characteristics of Cross-Cultural Disciplers" by William Yount and Mike Barnett (my professor)
- "Who is My Neighbor?: Reaching Internationals in North America" by Phillip & Kandace Connor
- "And the Word Came with Power" by Joanne Shetler
- "The Passion of the Servant: A Journey to the Cross" by Don Howell (my professor)
- "The NIV Harmony of the Gospels with Explanations and Essays" by Robert Thomas and Stanley Gundry
- "The Jesus I never Knew" by Philip Yancey
- 1 very recommended text: "Servants of the Servant" by Don Howell (my professor)
3 comments:
I've read part of "Out of the Saltshaker..." (only because I was borrowing it and had to return it) and thought it was pretty excellent. I've also read part of "The Green Letters" and thought it was pretty good. Not as easy of a read as Saltshaker, but it's got good stuff. I haven't actually read that specific Harmony of the Gospels, but I've got a chronological bible that intermixes the gospels, and I thought it was a very cool perspective -- to see how everything fits together.
Sounds like a good reading list! :)
Wow, I'm overwhelmed just reading your list of books to read. Sounds entirely exhausting and wonderful. Be sure to let us know what you recommend for us!
Miss you, love you, looking forward to hearing what you learn...
Thanks, Kelsey, for the input about classes! And Shannon, you said it well: exhausting AND wonderful. We'll see which one wins out.
K, gotta go read now :-)
Post a Comment