Merhaba! (Hello!)
Wow, there is much to mention from the last time I've written. It has been extremely exciting being here during the Euro Cup (soccer/futbol for those who don't know)!! Disclaimer: Read this paragraph for the play by play of the Euro Cupor skip ahead to the Summary section if you don't care. The first game was disappointing because we lost. Then, we beat the Swiss which was exciting, but not mind blowing. Last Sunday we were playing the Czech and we were predicted to lose. It was 0-2 and was not looking good...but then in the last 15 min, we scored 3 goals! It was amazing and, consequently, it was difficult to sleep at night. Car horns were our lullaby to such a sweet win. Then, we watched the quarterfinals game against Croatia (again, we're the underdog) at our mid-project retreat in the middle of the town we were at. There was a projection onto a screen and a few hundred people. It was so intense and then Croatia scored in the last minute (or so) of the game. People immediately started to file out. Then, in stoppage time we scored and it went into 2 overtime and we won in penalty kicks!!! Summary: We're one of the last four teams in the Euro Cup by winning at the last minute for some sweet upsets.
Needless to say, the atmosphere here has been very positive. People are coming together because the national team is doing so well unexpectedly! It is a good conversation builder to have when talking with new friends and I hope this week I'll get to watch this game with two of my new friends who love futbol.
This past weekend we took our mid-project retreat. We went to a more secluded part of the city and we basically hung out at a hotel on the Black Sea. It was good for relaxation and rejuvenation. One highlight of the weekend (besides the game) was swimming over to a small rocky island where we climbed up the rocks so we could go cliff diving. I don't have pictures yet, but it was amazing. The jump was about 30 feet and it was scary but exhilarating once I got the nerve to jump. It was beautiful to be swimming amidst God's wonderful creation since we don't see so much of that here in the heart of the city. It also built trust between teammates to be able to climb the rocks and trust that we would clear the ones below as they did...even though it didn't seem totally realistic!
Besides a few cool events going on, the normal routine of life has been good too. We have been making a lot of friends on campuses, in parks and in cafes. One day recently was pretty hard. My friend and I were pretty exhausted at the start and unmotivated to initiate any conversations at all. So, we sat down to talk and pray in the park before we headed out. Before we could even pray for our hearts to be motivated a girl sat down nearby and kind of in front of us. So, we both say hi and ask if she knows any English. She said she does and we started talking from there. The conversation was wonderful and we discussed a lot of spiritual topics. One of the big hot topics here is whether or not college students should be able to wear headscarves on campuses (right now it's illegal to). She is a covered woman who goes to an American university so that she can wear her headscarf there! Now that's commitment. She also prays five times a day in the mosque (which is rare to find here amongst university students) and so while we had tea with her, she invited us into the mosque (The Blue Mosque!!) and she showed us around telling us about her religion and explaining what people were doing. So we went inside and put on scarves so we could pray with her. It was quite an experience! And all of it happened while my friend and I were weak. God sure does like to show Himself strong - and He loves it when we're humble. He definitely humbled us by showing us that it's not by our efforts that the church will by built here - but by His will alone.
Lastly, I have been considering teaching here in the future at an international school. I don't know which one or even if it will work out, but I'm starting to seek it out. I'm getting names of schools and even Wednesday I took the afternoon to visit one of them. It may be possible for me to start there at the end of January. I would appreciate your prayers in this matter, especially because it's so soon and because I wasn't thinking about living abroad for a few more years. Six months is a lot shorter than 3-4 years! Plus, I don't even know if this is the place where I should invest my time or not long term.
Oh, one more thing. I want to thank anyone who has been praying for us as a team and for me. I have grown a ton in prayer (my mentor is always praying and I'm learning a lot from her) and I want to keep growing. Please be praying for me to be fervent in prayer, depending on God in faith for everything.
6.22.2008
Futbol, Cliff Diving, Sweet Convos & Job Opportunities
Posted by
AmyD
at
1:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Cliff diving sounds amazing! I've always wanted to do that! I'll keep praying for you and for direction. I hope the rest of your time there is filled with God's Blessings! Oh and during my conference calls with my supprot coach, I talk to one of the guys who will be stinting there for an entire year next year. Two guys from MSU are doing so, so it's great to be able to share stories of how you all are prearing the way!
oh Ames, it's so encouraging to hear you talk about everything that's going on. I miss you a ton. I am hoping to get in contact with the woman for the Crusade here this week. I don't want to put it off.
Thanks for the encouragement sista!
Dan: Yeah, no current stinters are going to be here next year so our work this summer will really allow them to start off the year right.
Sarah: I miss you too! We never got to chat before you left...we should soon =)
Amy, I loved reading this post. It's putting Perspectives into perspective for me, lol! Seriously though, Perspectives is rocking my world! We have 3 more lessons left and I CAN'T WAIT to have time to process through it all.
Love you! Isaiah 58:10-12
Post a Comment