"But it's hardly less puzzling how so many believing Christians today can read these same Gospels, commit themselves to following this Jesus, and yet never seriously consider treating sickness and disease (to say nothing of demonized people) the way Jesus treated them."He states this after briefly discussing how some believe Jesus was a moral teacher. He puts people like me practically in the same group as people who believe Jesus was a moral teacher. While I'm slightly offended, I'm also intrigued.
-Gregory A. Boyd, God at War
His main point was that all of Christ's work, including teaching, exorcisms, healings, miracles and work on the cross, were "acts of war." Okay, fair enough. Certainly Satan ruled this earth and Jesus did come to take back His reign over earth and destroy Satan's rule completely...even if it did take two comings for it to be complete. But Jesus' whole life was, according to the author, about overpowering Satan. My question is: Did everything He did have that purpose?
I ask this because I'm not so sure that diseases and sicknesses are so evil. I'm not so sure that every bit of pain we feel should be cast out. I think the author is right that healings are done in opposition to Satan, but I think that so often we grow so much more in difficult times (including diseases, deaths and sicknesses) that we wouldn't know God apart from those hard times. What about Job's sickness? Or Paul's thorn?
I don't deny that miraculous healings occur today, but should that be my response? If so, when? Should I be so in tune with God that I know when to pray for healing and when to pray for perseverance? Well, we know Paul was persistent in asking God and then God denied him his request. Maybe that should be my response: be persistent until God is clear on His will.
Oh and I have another question (go figure, right?). In Luke 4:38-39 when Jesus heals Simon's mother-in-law, was that an act against evil. It says "[He] rebuked the fever and it left her." The author claims this is an act against demons, and I'm not so sure I would go so far, but it does have the taste that this fever was evil. Hmm...I just don't know what to think.
Well, the point of this reading in Perspectives is to show the church that we should be involved in "overthrowing evil powers just as Jesus had done." And the study guide asks, "Is it possible to carry out Christ's Great Commission without in some way fighting against evil?" Clearly the answer is no. But I think Boyd has a different look on spiritual warfare than I do. Maybe I need to adjust the way I see it, but I'm not so convinced by the argument he gave and the Scriptures he presented. Am I too much of a skeptic?
1 comment:
Over the past year or so, I've been taught that sickness is not of God -- God just sometimes allows it. You are supposed to proclaim health over yourself, saying with faith that God has healed you and speaking positive words over yourself (or over sick person). God allowed Satan to take away Job's health to show Satan how faithful Job was. I think it is a tactic of the enemy that needs to be fought, especially when it is serious illness. We should not wallow and complain in are sickness but walk in faith that we are healed in the name of Jesus!
I don't know if that was too much different than what you said but I felt like ranting... loooove the blog! :-)
~Sam
Post a Comment