1.27.2009

God's Will: Be a Nun

Who needs more than two signs to know God's will? Not me.

Today in class a student asked if the only thing I could do after college is be a teacher. I said, "No, my grandpa thinks I should go into..." At this point K whispered something which caused an outroar from the back of the room. "What did she say about me?" After some more laughing she explained, "I said, 'I think you should be a nun.'" At this I laughed and explained that it's funny she should mention it because my previous students made the same suggestion...and called me Sister D. Maybe, just maybe my students are very discerning and listen well to the Holy Spirit. If so, they might just be pointing me in the right direction.

So, what's next in my life? I may as well quit the teaching job searches and apply for a monastery (is there an application process?). Thoughts? Do you think this is God's plan for my life?



Other quotes from this fourth hour class:
Yesterday: "Miss D does meth! I saw her at the rave!!!"
After the nun comment: "Miss D, you were in a gang in high school, weren't you?"

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

Hmmm, there must just be something about you that screams "nun" to people. Have you been wearing a lot of black and white lately? Carrying a big cross around your neck? Maybe wearing a head covering? :)

Shannon said...

Get thee to a nunnery!

AmyD said...

I found out last night that the house I'm living in used to be a rectory. WHAT MORE DO I NEED?! I already live in the basement of a rectory. Coincidence? I think not.

Now, let me get to googling "Nunnery applications."

Unknown said...

...sounds like you might need to borrow that nun costume again...or maybe keep it as part of your daily wardrobe...

Brooke said...

"Nothing you can say could take me away from my God.... my God.

Nothing you could do 'cause I'm stuck like glue to my God...."

Yea, I can definitely see you in a convent. But, I wouldn't give up on teaching just yet.

JR said...

"Miss D, you were in a gang in high school, weren't you?" LOVE IT!! An M-town gang. Uh-huh. Sure. :D Was your uncle really in the mob?! I did not know that.

AmyD said...

Jen - Yeah he was my great-uncle and I recently learned that my great-grandpa was also in the Italian mob. So I guess that makes me a gangsta! My students love hearing me say, "You better watch out cuz I have mob blood in me!" They think it's funny...